Insurance Certificate

Insurance Certificate Request Instruction for Film Students

Certificate of Insurance Webpage
There are two main areas of liability associated with the activities conducted by Temple University FMA students: General Liability and Property Liability.

The General Liability policy of the University protects both the University and the FMA student while that student is acting within their scope of Academic duties either during “shoots” here on campus or at any off-site location. It protects against third party actions in which bodily injury, personal injury, or property damage is alleged as a result of some action by the University or FMA student.

Most of FMA students, if not all, will need a certificate of insurance evidencing general liability during your studies at Temple.  Please request a certificate by emailing Danielle Colon, or

We needs to receive your request at least seven business days prior to your scheduled filming.  Once you have provided all the required information we will begin to process your request.

For General Liability Insurance should include:

  1. Name of the film
  2. Student’s name who is requesting the certificate, and student ID number
  3. Name and address, (no PO boxes), of each site the filming will take place, and the date (s) of filming at each site.

The property insurance policy protects the university and yourself against damage to Equipment that you rent or lease during your film project.

For equipment rented from Temple’s Film Department, a certificate of insurance is not required, and please note:

The equipment left in cars will NOT be covered by the Insurance Certificate from Temple University. Students should consider taking out renter’s insurance to make sure that they are covered.

For Property Liability Insurance should include:

  1. Name and address and email address of the firm you are renting the equipment from
  2. An email from the Rental company showing the renter’s name, and Itemizing a list of each piece of equipment, showing individual item values, and total replacement value of all items combined.
  3. Name and address of sites where the filming will take place and date (s) of filming for each site
  4. Name of film
  5. And if the filming is for more than one day, the name and address of the place where the equipment will be stored overnight.

I do not produce these in my office, so allow seven business days for processing.


Students are not permitted to sign contracts or agreements.

If you pick a site to film that requires a Contract or Agreement to be signed, it is important that you forward this information immediately to:

  1. Risk Management & Insurance: Danielle Colon, and
  2. The Office of University Counsel,
  3. Your instructor

These documents frequently require negotiation, and cannot be completed on short notice.

Please, when planning your project, try to identify the locations far in advance to give adequate time for the review and approval process if a contract or agreement is required.  Not all property owners are reasonable.  The University may not be able to agree to certain location requirements.  We will make every effort to let you know as soon as possible if this is the case so you can make arrangements for a new location.

For more details on requesting a certificate of insurance please visit

For some projects further legal issues are encountered. Philadelphia Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts can be a useful resource at