Frequently asked questions and informational links about graduation.
- Are tickets required for my guests to attend the SMC Graduation Ceremony?
- If I have guests who require special accommodation, will there be seating available?
- How do I know if I am eligible to attend the SMC Graduation Ceremony?
- If I am a FMA or Theater prospective graduate, when will my ceremony be held?
- What is the Student Honors Convocation? How do I know if I am eligible to attend?
- Am I eligible to receive Latin Honors?
- Must I purchase academic regalia?
- How do I purchase academic regalia?
- How will I receive my diploma?
- When should holds from my Temple Account be removed prior to the Graduation Ceremony?
- Are directions available?
- What do I do with my regalia after the ceremony is over?
- How can I purchase a DVD of the ceremony?
- How can I purchase photographs of the ceremony?
- How do I schedule my senior portrait for the 2014 Templar Yearbook?
- How do I receive my yearbook?
Q. Are tickets required for my guests to attend the SMC Graduation Ceremony?
A. Yes, guests are required to present tickets for the SMC Graduation Ceremony. Eligible graduates must register for tickets to attend the ceremony. Each student is entitled to a MAXIMUM of six (6) tickets. The RSVP is closed. If you have questions or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Please note: For May Graduations, the MAXIMUM number of tickets per student is four (4). This is due to the limited space of the venue, fire marshal laws, and number of prospective graduates attending.)
- The SMC Graduation Ceremony** RSVP is now closed. The deadline to register was Monday, December 2, 2013.
- For Undergraduate students (BA), tickets will be available for pick-up in the SMC Student Affairs Office (Annenberg Hall – Room 9) from Monday, December 9, 2013 through Friday, December 20, 2013.
- For Graduate students (MA, MJ, MS, and PHD), tickets will be available for pick-up in the Office of Research & Graduate Studies, (Annenberg Hall – Room 344) from Monday, December 9, 2013 through Friday, December 20, 2013.
**SMC Graduation Ceremony tickets will NOT be redistributed. No extra tickets will be given. Tickets will NOT be mailed.
Q. If I have guests who require special accommodation, will there be seating available?
A. For the SMC Graduation Ceremony, there will be a section available for guests who require special accommodation. A specific location will be designated, and staff will be on-hand to direct those in need. To view accessible seating options, click here.
The wheelchair-accessible entrance to the Temple Performing Arts Center is located on the north side of the venue at the corner of Broad Street and Polett Walk near the University Gate.
For additional information, please visit: http://templeperformingartscenter.org/.
Q. How do I know if I am eligible to attend the SMC Graduation Ceremony?
A. You are eligible to attend the graduation ceremony if you have:
- completed your mandatory online graduation application by October 15, 2013 on the TU Portal through Self-Service Banner under Students Records and Apply to Graduate.
- had your graduation review with an academic advisor.
- completed your academic requirements.
- submitted your RSVP to attend the graduation ceremony between November 11 – December 2, 2013.
- been conferred your degree in August 2013*.
*Students may only attend one school graduation. If you walked in the May 2013 ceremony, you are not eligible to attend.
Q. If I am a FMA or Theater prospective graduate, when will my ceremony be held?
A. The graduation ceremony for the Division of Theater, Film, and Media Arts will take place in May 2014. For more information, please contact Leah Dempsey at email@example.com or 215-204-8791.
Q. What is the Student Honors Convocation? How do I know if I am eligible to attend?
A. The Student Honors Convocation is held in recognition of the top 16% of the August 2013, January 2014, and May 2014 graduating classes. At Convocation, students’ names are called and students receive their honors cords.
In early March 2014, students eligible to attend will receive invitations in the mail. They will have an option to RSVP for the Convocation through the Commencement website. If you plan to participate, you must RSVP by the deadline.
Q. Am I eligible to receive Latin Honors?
A. To be eligible for Graduation (Latin) Honors, at least 60 credits must be completed at Temple University and the final cumulative GPA must meet the qualifying standards. The qualifying cumulative GPA standards for SMC students graduating in August 2013, January 2014, and May 2014 are:
- CGPA 3.58 to 3.75 = Cum Laude
- CGPA 3.76 to 3.87 = Magna Cum Laude
- CGPA 3.88 to 4.0 = Summa Cum Laude
Q. Must I purchase academic regalia?
A. The wearing of academic regalia (cap, tassel, gown, and hood) is required for participation in the SMC Graduation Ceremony. You may order your academic regalia here.
Q. How do I purchase academic regalia?
A. Graduates are required to appear at the SMC Graduation Ceremony wearing an approved cap, tassel, gown, and hood. The deadline to order your academic regalia is Friday, January 3, 2014. The total price for your full regalia is as follows:
- Bachelor of Arts: $65.98 + tax
- Master’s degree: $70.98 + tax
- Doctorate: $85.98 + tax
Please note: The cap, tassel, gown and hood are yours to keep. You do not need to return these items after the ceremony.
To purchase academic regalia, you may visit the Temple University Bookstore, located at 13th Street and Montgomery Avenue in the Howard Gittis Student Center, or order online at: https://college.oakhalli.com/college/templeuniversity/. The Bookstore accepts payment in cash, check (payable to Temple University Bookstore), Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express. If you require additional information, please contact Ms. Vicki Lentine (Bookstore) at 215-204-8970 or Oak Hall (vendor) at 1-800-456-7623.
Q. How will I receive my diploma?
A. Diplomas will be mailed to your PERMANENT address listed in Self-Service Banner approximately six-to-eight weeks after the graduation ceremony. If you do not receive your diploma after such time, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
back to top
Q. When should holds from my Temple account be removed prior to the Graduation Ceremony?
A. Any holds against your account (financial, library, athletic, student health services, and exit interviews) must be removed at least two weeks prior to graduation. Temple University will not release diplomas if a hold appears on the student’s account.
To determine whether your account has any outstanding holds, visit Self-Service Banner, select Student, Student Records, and View Holds.
- Click here for more information regarding Financial Delinquencies.
- For Library Services, please contact the Circulation Desk for borrowing and fines assistance at 215-204-0744.
- For Athletic-related holds, please visit Compliance & Student-Athlete Affairs.
- For Student Health Services (SHS), you may call 215-204-7500.
- Click here to complete the Exit Interview.
Q. Are directions available?
A. SMC’s January 2014 ceremony will be held in the Temple Performing Arts Center on Temple University’s Main Campus at 1837 North Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19122. For a map of Temple University’s Main Campus and travel directions, please visit: http://www.temple.edu/maps-and-directions.
Limited parking is available in the 15th Street Lot and in the Liacouras Center Garage. Both entrances are accessible southbound on 15th Street. Please note that parking is on a first-come, first-serve basis. Parking is $15, due upon entry, at all university parking lots and is cash only.
Q. How can I purchase a DVD of the ceremony?
A. Orders will start to be taken beginning January 1, 2014. You may contact 20/20 Visual Media at email@example.com, 267-639-6515 or online at http://2020visualmedia.com/. Cost is $15. DVDs will be available approximately three weeks after the graduation ceremony.
Q. How can I purchase photographs of the ceremony?
A. US Candids will photograph all the graduates as they walk across the stage. Photos should be posted online within one-to-three days after the ceremony. To view and purchase photos, visit www.uscandids.com. If you are unable to view the photos, please call 484-891-0482.
Q. How do I schedule my senior portrait for the 2014 Templar Yearbook?
A. Senior Portraits for the 2014 Templar Yearbook will begin on Monday, August 5, 2013 in the Howard Gittis Student Center, room 217B. It is important that you schedule your appointment by logging onto www.ouryear.com, entering school code 87120 or by calling 1-800-OUR-YEAR™ (687-9327), during normal business hours.
If you attend class at or live near the AMBLER CAMPUS, you may have your portraits taken there instead. A photographer will be available Wednesday and Thursday, October 9th & 10th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. in Bright Hall, room 202. To schedule an appointment at the AMBLER CAMPUS, please log onto www.ouryear.com and enter the school code 87202 or call 1-800-687-9327.
Q. How do I receive my yearbook?
A. If you are interested in receiving a yearbook or have questions/concerns, you may contact Templar staff at 215-204-7299. The Templar Office is in the Howard Gittis Student Center - Room 243, located at 13th Street and Montgomery Avenue. You may visit their website here: http://www.temple.edu/templar/.