Frequently asked questions and informational links about graduation.
- What is the difference between University Commencement and the SMC Graduation Ceremony?
- Are tickets required for my guests to attend the SMC Graduation Ceremony?
- If I have guests who require special accommodation, will there be seating available?
- Will I receive announcements?
- How do I know if I am eligible to attend the SMC Graduation Ceremony?
- If I am an August 2014 graduate approved to “walk”, will my name be announced?
- If I am a FMA or Theater prospective graduate, when will my ceremony be held?
- What is the Student Honors Convocation? How do I know if I am eligible to attend?
- Am I eligible to receive Latin Honors?
- Must I purchase academic regalia?
- How do I purchase academic regalia?
- How will I receive my diploma?
- When should holds from my Temple Account be removed prior to the Graduation Ceremony?
- Are directions available?
- What do I do with my regalia after the ceremony is over?
- How can I purchase a DVD of the ceremony?
- How can I purchase photographs of the ceremony?
- How do I schedule my senior portrait for the 2014 Templar Yearbook?
- How do I receive my yearbook?
A. There are two separate ceremonies being held on Thursday, May 15, 2014: Temple University’s 127th Commencement Exercises and the School of Media and Communication Graduation Ceremony. You are not required to attend both.
- Temple University’s 127th Commencement Exercises
Temple University’s Commencement is held in the Liacouras Center at 10 a.m. on May 15. This event includes graduates from the entire University and lasts approximately 90 minutes.
Graduates are asked to report by 8:45 a.m. to the loading dock entrance of the Liacouras Center (on Broad Street near Cecil B. Moore Avenue) in full academic regalia on the morning of Commencement.
Additional information can be found on the University Commencement’s website: http://www.temple.edu/commencement/index.html.
- School of Media and Communication’s Graduation Ceremony
The second ceremony is the School of Media and Communication’s Graduation, which is being held at 12:30 p.m. in McGonigle Hall. The Graduation Ceremony lasts approximately two hours, depending upon the number of graduates in attendance.
Graduates must report to McGonigle Hall by 11:30 a.m. to check-in and receive their seating assignments.
At this ceremony, each graduate is recognized individually by the Dean as he or she is called on stage. A professional photographer from US Candids will be present to capture this important moment of achievement.
Q. Are tickets required for my guests to attend the SMC Graduation Ceremony?
A. Yes, guests are required to present tickets for both the University Commencement and the SMC Graduation Ceremony**. Eligible graduates must register for tickets to attend one or both ceremonies. Each student is entitled to a MAXIMUM of four (4) tickets. To RSVP, please visit the Commencement website: http://www.temple.edu/commencement/tickets/index.html.
- The University Commencement and the SMC Graduation Ceremony RSVP will begin on February 24, 2014. Deadline to register is March 28, 2014.
- For Undergraduate students (BA), tickets will be available for pick-up in the SMC Student Affairs Office (Annenberg Hall – Room 9) from Monday, April 21, 2014 through Friday, April 25, 2014.
- For Graduate students (MA, MJ, MS, and PHD), tickets will be available for pick-up in the Office of Research & Graduate Studies, (Annenberg Hall – Room 344) from Monday, April 21, 2014 through Friday, April 25, 2014.
**SMC Graduation Ceremony tickets will NOT be redistributed. No extra tickets will be given. Tickets will NOT be mailed.
Q. If I have guests who require special accommodation, will there be seating available?
A. For the SMC Graduation Ceremony, there will be a section available for guests who require special accommodation. A specific location will be designated, and staff will be on-hand to direct those in need.
Wheelchair access to the building is available from the 15th Street Lot, which is between Broad and 15th Streets. You may take a look at the campus map here (McGonigle Hall is 37B): http://temple.edu/sites/temple/files/uploads/documents/TUMain_map.pdf.
back to top
Q. Will I receive announcements?
A. Each student is entitled to four (4) announcements. Students will receive them along with their graduation ceremony tickets in April. If a student is interested in obtaining additional announcements, they can order them through Herff Jones.
back to top
Q. How do I know if I am eligible to attend the SMC Graduation Ceremony?
A. Prospective May 2014 graduates, you are eligible to attend the graduation ceremony if you have:
- completed your mandatory online graduation application by February 15, 2014 on the TU Portal through Self-Service Banner under Students Records and Apply to Graduate.
- had your graduation review with an academic advisor.
- completed your academic requirements.
- submitted your RSVP to attend the graduation ceremony between February 24- March 28, 2014.
A. Yes, your name will be announced if you attend the SMC Graduation Ceremony.
Q. If I am a FMA or Theater prospective graduate, when will my ceremony be held?
A. The graduation ceremony for the Division of Theater, Film, and Media Arts will take place in May 2014. For more information, please contact Leah Dempsey at email@example.com or 215-204-8791.
Q. What is the Student Honors Convocation? How do I know if I am eligible to attend?
A. The Student Honors Convocation is held in recognition of the top 16% of the August 2013, January 2014, and May 2014 graduating classes. At Convocation, students’ names are called and students receive their honors cords.
Eligible students will have an option to RSVP for the Student Honors Convocation through the Commencement website. If you plan to participate, you must RSVP by the deadline.
For the School of Media and Communication, the Student Honors Convocation is scheduled for Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 2 p.m. in the Temple Performing Arts Center (Broad Street and Polett Walk). Students must report by 1:15 p.m. for their seating assignment and instructions.
Q. Am I eligible to receive Latin Honors?
A. To be eligible for Graduation (Latin) Honors, at least 60 credits must be completed at Temple University and the final cumulative GPA must meet the qualifying standards. The qualifying cumulative GPA standards for SMC students graduating in August 2013, January 2014, and May 2014 are:
- CGPA 3.58 to 3.75 = Cum Laude
- CGPA 3.76 to 3.87 = Magna Cum Laude
- CGPA 3.88 to 4.0 = Summa Cum Laude
Q. Must I purchase academic regalia?
A. The wearing of academic regalia (cap, tassel, gown, and hood) is required for participation in the SMC Graduation Ceremony as well as University Commencement. You may order your academic regalia here.
Q. How do I purchase academic regalia?
A. Graduates are required to appear at the SMC Graduation Ceremony wearing an approved cap, tassel, gown, and hood. The total price for your full regalia is as follows:
- Bachelor of Arts: $65.98 + tax
- Master’s degree: $70.98 + tax
- Doctorate: $85.98 + tax
Please note: The cap, tassel, gown and hood are yours to keep. You do not need to return these items after the ceremony.
To purchase academic regalia, you may visit the Temple University Bookstore, located at 13th Street and Montgomery Avenue in the Howard Gittis Student Center, or order online at: https://oakhalli.com/colleges/templeuniversity. The Bookstore accepts payment in cash, check (payable to Temple University Bookstore), Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express. If you require additional information, please contact Ms. Vicki Lentine (Bookstore) at 215-204-8970 or Oak Hall (vendor) at 1-800-456-7623.
Q. How will I receive my diploma?
A. Diplomas will be mailed to your PERMANENT address listed in Self-Service Banner approximately six-to-eight weeks after the graduation ceremony. If you do not receive your diploma after such time, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q. When should holds from my Temple account be removed prior to the Graduation Ceremony?
A. Any holds against your account (financial, library, athletic, student health services, and exit interviews) must be removed at least two weeks prior to graduation. Temple University will not release diplomas if a hold appears on the student’s account.
To determine whether your account has any outstanding holds, visit Self-Service Banner, select Student, Student Records, and View Holds.
- Click here for more information regarding Financial Delinquencies.
- For Library Services, please contact the Circulation Desk for borrowing and fines assistance at 215-204-0744.
- For Athletic-related holds, please visit Compliance & Student-Athlete Affairs.
- For Student Health Services (SHS), you may call 215-204-7500.
- Click here to complete the Exit Interview.
Q. Are directions available?
A. SMC’s May 2014 ceremony will be held in McGonigle Hall on Temple University’s Main Campus at 1800 North Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19122. For a map of Temple University’s Main Campus and travel directions, please visit: http://www.temple.edu/maps-and-directions.
Q. How can I purchase a DVD of the ceremony?
A. You may contact 20/20 Visual Media at email@example.com, 267-639-6515 or online at http://2020visualmedia.com/. Cost is $15. DVDs will be available approximately three weeks after the graduation ceremony.
Q. How can I purchase photographs of the ceremony?
A. US Candids will photograph all the graduates as they walk across the stage. Photos should be posted online within one-to-three days after the ceremony. To view and purchase photos, visit www.uscandids.com. If you are unable to view the photos, please call 484-891-0482.
Q. How do I schedule my senior portrait for the 2014 Templar Yearbook?
A. Senior Portraits for the 2014 Templar Yearbook will begin on Monday, August 5, 2013 in the Howard Gittis Student Center, room 217B. It is important that you schedule your appointment by logging onto www.ouryear.com, entering school code 87120 or by calling 1-800-OUR-YEAR™ (687-9327), during normal business hours.
If you attend class at or live near the AMBLER CAMPUS, you may have your portraits taken there instead. A photographer will be available Wednesday and Thursday, October 9th & 10th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. in Bright Hall, room 202. To schedule an appointment at the AMBLER CAMPUS, please log onto www.ouryear.com and enter the school code 87202 or call 1-800-687-9327.
Q. How do I receive my yearbook?
A. If you are interested in receiving a yearbook or have questions/concerns, you may contact Templar staff at 215-204-7299. The Templar Office is in the Howard Gittis Student Center - Room 243, located at 13th Street and Montgomery Avenue. You may visit their website here: http://www.temple.edu/templar/.