Frequently asked questions and informational links about graduation.
- What is the difference between university commencement and the SMC graduation ceremony?
- Are tickets required for my guests to attend the SMC Graduation Ceremony?
- If I have guests who require special accommodation, will there be seating available?
- Will I receive announcements?
- If I am an August 2013 graduate approved to “walk,” will my name be announced?
- How do I know if I am eligible to attend the SMC Graduation Ceremony?
- If I am a FMA or Theater prospective graduate, where will my ceremony be held? How do I receive tickets for my guests?
- What is the Student Honors Convocation? How do I know if I am eligible to attend?
- Must I purchase academic regalia?
- How do I purchase academic regalia?
- How will I receive my diploma?
- When should holds from my Temple Account be removed prior to the Graduation Ceremony?
- Are directions available?
- What do I do with my regalia after the ceremony is over?
- How can I purchase a DVD of the ceremony?
- How can I purchase photographs of the ceremony?
- How do I receive my yearbook?
A. There are two separate ceremonies being held on Thursday, May 16, 2013: Temple University’s 126th Commencement Exercises and the School of Media and Communication Graduation Ceremony. You are not required to attend both.
- Temple University’s 126th Commencement Exercises
Temple University’s Commencement is held in the Liacouras Center at 10:00 a.m. on May 16. This event includes graduates from the entire University and lasts approximately 90 minutes.
Graduates must report by 8:45 a.m. to the loading dock entrance of the Liacouras Center (on Broad Street near Cecil B. Moore Avenue) in full academic regalia on the morning of Commencement.
Additional information can be found on the University’s Commencement website: http://www.temple.edu/commencement/.
- School of Media and Communication Graduation Ceremony
The second ceremony is the School of Media and Communication Graduation being held at 3:30 p.m. in McGonigle Hall. The Graduation Ceremony lasts approximately 2 hours, depending on the number of graduates in attendance.
Graduates must report to McGonigle Hall by 2:30 p.m. to check-in and receive their seating assignments.
At this ceremony, each graduate is recognized individually by the Dean as he or she is called on stage. A professional photographer from US Candids will be present to capture this important moment of achievement.
A. Yes, guests are required to present tickets for both the University Commencement and the SMC Graduation Ceremony. Eligible graduates must register for tickets to attend one or both ceremonies. Each student is eligible for a MAXIMUM of four (4) tickets.
- The University Commencement and the SMC Graduation Ceremony** RSVP is closed. The deadline to register was Saturday, March 30, 2013.
- The deadline to pick up graduation tickets in the SMC Student Affairs Office (Annenberg Hall – Room 9) was Friday, April 26, 2013.
**Please note that SMC Graduation Ceremony tickets will NOT be redistributed. No extra tickets will be given.
A. For the SMC Graduation Ceremony, there will be a section available in McGonigle Hall for guests who require special accommodation. A specific location will be designated, and staff will be on-hand to direct those in need.
Wheelchair access to the building is available from Broad Street as well as from Lot 1, which is located between Broad and 15th Streets. You may take a look at the campus map here (McGonigle Hall is D): Download the Commencement Day Map.
Also, if you are planning to attend the morning Commencement Exercises in the Liacouras Center, you may find more information regarding access to the building and special accommodation here: http://www.temple.edu/commencement/general/special-needs.html.
A. Each student is entitled to four (4) announcements. Students will receive them along with their graduation ceremony tickets in April. If a student is interested in obtaining additional announcements, they can order them through the Bookstore, Herff Jones, or on their own.
A. Your name will be announced if you attend the SMC graduation ceremony.
A. Prospective May 2013 graduates, you are eligible to attend the graduation ceremony if you have:
- completed your mandatory online graduation application by February 15, 2013 on the TU Portal through Self-Service Banner under Students Records and Apply to Graduate.
- had your graduation review with an academic advisor.
- completed your academic requirements.
- submitted your RSVP to attend the graduation ceremony between Friday, March 1, 2013 through Saturday, March 30, 2013.
A. The graduation ceremony for the Division of Theater, Film and Media Arts will take place Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 3:30 p.m. in the Temple Performing Arts Center, 1837 North Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19122.
The TFMA Graduation Ceremony RSVP is closed. The deadline to register was Saturday, March 30, 2013.
Tickets were available for pick-up from Monday, April 22, 2013 through Friday, April 26, 2013 in Rock Hall, 1715 North Broad Street, Room 118.
For more information, please contact Leah Dempsey at email@example.com or 215-204-8791.
A. The Student Honors Convocation is held in recognition of the top 16% of the August 2012, January 2013, and May 2013 graduating classes. At Convocation, students’ names are called and students receive their honors cords.
In early March, students eligible to attend will receive invitations in the mail. They will have an option to RSVP for the Convocation through the Commencement website until Saturday, March 30, 2013. If you plan to participate, you must RSVP by the deadline.
For the School of Media and Communication, the Student Honors Convocation is scheduled for Friday, April 12, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. in the Temple Performing Arts Center (Broad Street and Polett Walk). Students must report by 9:15 a.m. for their seating assignment and instructions.
A. The wearing of academic regalia (cap, tassel, gown, and hood) is required for participation in the SMC Graduation Ceremony as well as University Commencement. You may order your academic regalia here.
A. Graduates are required to appear at the SMC Graduation Ceremony wearing an approved cap, tassel, gown, and hood. The deadline to order your academic regalia was Monday, April 29, 2013. The total price for your full regalia is as follows:
- Bachelor of Arts: $63.98 + tax
- Master’s degree: $69.98 + tax
- Doctorate: $83.98 + tax
Please note: The cap, tassel, gown and hood are yours to keep. You do not need to return these items after the ceremony.
Online ordering of academic regalia ended on April 29, 2013. To purchase academic regalia, you may visit the Temple University Bookstore, located at 13th Street and Montgomery Avenue in the Howard Gittis Student Center. The Main Campus Bookstore accepts payment in cash, check (payable to Temple University Bookstore), Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express. If you require additional information, please contact Ms. Vicki Lentine (Bookstore) at 215-204-8970 or Oak Hall (vendor) at 1-800-456-7623.
A. Diplomas will be mailed to your PERMANENT address listed in Self-Service Banner approximately six-to-eight weeks after the graduation ceremony. If you do not receive your diploma after such time, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
A. Any holds against your account (financial, library, athletic, and exit interviews) must be removed at least two weeks prior to graduation. Temple University will not release diplomas if a hold appears on the student’s account.
To determine whether your account has any outstanding holds, visit Self-Service Banner, select Student, Student Records, and View Holds.
- Click here for more information regarding Financial Delinquencies.
- For Library Services, please contact the Circulation Desk for borrowing and fines assistance at 215-204-0744.
- For Athletic-related holds, please visit Compliance & Student-Athlete Affairs.
- Click here to complete the Exit Interview.
A. SMC’s May 2013 ceremony will be held in McGonigle Hall on Temple University’s Main Campus at 1800 North Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19122. For a map of Temple University’s Main Campus and travel directions, please visit http://www.temple.edu/maps-and-directions.
For the SMC Graduation Ceremony, limited parking is available in Lot #10 (12th and Norris Streets) and Lot #5 (13th and Diamond Streets). Please note that parking is on a first-come, first-serve basis. Parking is $14, due upon entry, at all university parking lots and is cash only. Each student is entitled to ONE (1) parking pass. Students received their passes with their grad tickets during the week of April 22 – April 26, 2013.
Q. How can I purchase a DVD of the ceremony?
A. Contact 20/20 Visual Media at email@example.com, 267-639-6515 or online at http://2020visualmedia.com/commencement/. Cost is $15. DVDs will be available approximately three weeks after the graduation ceremony.
A. US Candids will photograph all the graduates as they walk across the stage. Photos should be posted online within one-to-three days after the ceremony. To view and purchase photos, visit www.uscandids.com. If you are unable to view the photos, please call 1-877-280-0422.
A. If you are interested in receiving a yearbook or have questions/concerns, you may contact Templar staff at 215-204-7299. The Templar Office is in the Howard Gittis Student Center - Room 243 , located at 13th Street and Montgomery Avenue. You may visit their website here: http://www.temple.edu/templar/.