Student Organization DEC (Diamond Edge Communications) has a problem with their web site.
Every semester different students need to update contents on their web site. Web admin changes all the time so they lose track of what they need to do to update the site. Also, not every student who is assigned to take care of the web site is familiar with web update using Dreamweaver or Contribute.
Today, I was contacted about this web site from the student who belongs to the organization.
The faculty member who is in charge is worried that their site won’t show up on the Google search engine result high enough for the term “student run agency”.
I searched “student run agency” on Google and found no link to DEC’s web site on the first result page. page 2, 3, 4, 5 …. 11 no link. Then I changed the wording and even searched for “Diamond Edge” no result on the first page and found the link on page 3. Hum… I checked to see when was the last time the site was updated. It was Dec. 2007. Over 3 years ago!!
This is a typical problem with any student organization sites hosted on temple’s server.
So here are list of what they want (in order of importance to them):
- Better search engine result on the keyword “student run agency”
- More social media (I assume there is none right now)
- Placing more spotlight on the students (our work… hiring… etc), having open communication between past and present students
Here are my thoughts:
- They should convert the web site to WordPress so any students with basic tech skill can update the web site easily.
- More frequent update would help to improve search engine result. This can be easily done on WordPress!
- Create Twitter and Facebook account and sync them with their web site. This allows students who might not feel comfortable updating posts or pages on WordPress to contribute contents to the web site.
Here are two links discussing about why WordPress is good for SEO: