- Lew Klein Alumni in the Media Awards
- October 17, 2013 11:15 am
- October 17, 2013 2:00 pm
- Visit alumni.temple.edu/lkam for details.
- Mitten Hall, Great Court
Philadelphia, Pa., 19122, Select a Country:
Oscar, Tony, Grammy and Emmy award winner Whoopi Goldberg will be on Temple University’s Main Campus Oct. 17 to receive the School of Media and Communication’s top honor, the Lew Klein Excellence in the Media Award. She will join the ranks of previous honorees like Anderson Cooper, Robin Roberts and Matt Lauer.
The 13th annual event begins with a reception at 11:30 a.m. in Mitten Hall’s Owl Cove, followed by a 12:15 p.m. luncheon in the Mitten Hall Great Court. Following the award ceremony, Goldberg will meet with students to discuss her career in media.
The award is named after Lew Klein, a Temple adjunct professor for more than 60 years and a pioneer in the television industry.
Several Temple alumni also will receive honors at the fall event.
The following people will receive the Lew Klein Alumni in the Media Award and will be inducted into the School of Media and Communication Hall of Fame:
- E. Steven Collins, director of urban marketing/external relations, Radio One Inc.
- David Henry, JOUR ’94, reporter, 6abc Action News
- Kevin Negandhi, BTMM ’98, anchor, SportsCenter, ESPN
- Deborah Veney Robinson, BTMM ’97, senior communications officer for external communications, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
The 2013 Rising Star Award, given to someone who has graduated in the past 10 years, will be presented to:
- Noah Goldstein, BTMM ’04, ’06, producer and recording engineer for Kanye West
Proceeds from the Lew Klein Awards support scholarships for School of Media and Communication students who wish to study abroad, perform internships or complete independent study projects. Approximately two dozen students receive the scholarship each year.
RSVP by Oct. 7. (Sponsorship deadline is Sept. 13.) Seating is limited.
Visit alumni.temple.edu/lkam to purchase tickets or sponsorships.
Visit sites.temple.edu/lkam for more information.