- Lew Klein Alumni in the Media Awards
- September 26, 2014 11:15 am
- September 26, 2014 2:00 pm
- Category: Dawn Ramos
- Mitten Hall
1913 North Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19122, United States
NBC Nightly News Anchor Brian Williams will receive the 2014 Lew Klein Excellence in the Media Award from Temple University’s School of Media and Communication this fall.
Williams will be honored Sept. 26 as the school presents the 14th annual Lew Klein Alumni in the Media Awards. The awards, named for a television-industry pioneer who has taught at the school for the past 60 years, also will recognize six alumni who have excelled in the news and communication industries.
The Klein Awards will be held in Temple’s Mitten Hall, starting with a reception in the Owl Cove at 11:15 a.m. The awards luncheon, where Williams will serve as guest speaker, will be held in the Great Court at 12:15 p.m. The alumni winners will be honored with documentary profiles about their careers. Following the luncheon, current SMC students will attend “A Conversation with Brian Williams” in the Temple Performing Arts Center.
Five of the honored alumni, nominated by their peers, will be inducted into the school’s Hall of Fame. They are:
- Tracy Davidson, SMC ’06, a reporter and anchor at NBC 10 in Philadelphia.
- Gerhart L. (Jerry) Klein, SMC ’70, LAW ’80, executive vice president of the Anne Klein Communications Group.
- Larry Margasak, SMC ’65, a longtime reporter at the Associated Press Washington Bureau, now retired.
- John Oates, SMC ’70, musician and songwriter of the Hall and Oates duo, recently inducted into the Rock ‘n Roll Hall of Fame.
- Claire Smith, SMC ’79, a pioneer for women in sports journalism, a former reporter for The New York Times and The Philadelphia Inquirer who is now a news editor at ESPN.
The final honoree is Meredith Z. Avakian-Hardaway, SMC ’06, who will receive the 2014 Rising Star Award. Avakian-Hardaway is the director of communications and marketing at the Philadelphia Bar Association.
Proceeds from the Klein Awards support approximately two dozen scholarships for SMC students each year.
RSVP by Sept. 15. (Sponsorship deadline is Sept. 3.) Seating is limited.
Visit sites.temple.edu/lkam for more information or click this button to register. (You will be directed to create an account through Temple’s continuing education program, which administers this payment site.)
Contact Don Heller at 215-204-1696, firstname.lastname@example.org or Arlene Morgan at 215-204-4816, email@example.com to discuss sponsorships.