For Parents


Please note that for parents to have access to their son or daughter’s educational records, including academic status (such as registration information, grades and more), the student needs to complete the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) waiver.

If you have any questions that are not listed here, please contact SMC Student Affairs/Advising Center at 215-204-5273 or

In Case of Emergency

How can I reach my son or daughter if we have a family emergency?

A: Please contact Campus Safety Services at 215-204-1234. They will make contact with the student.

Q: What should my son or daughter do in the case of an emergency?

A: He or she should call the Temple University Police Department at 1-1234 (on-campus) or 215-204-1234 or use the emergency blue phones located around campus.

Q: Where would I locate information about Temple’s emergency preparedness plan?

A: Please visit:

Academic Advising, Policies, and Related Information

Q: How does my son or daughter get in touch with their academic advisor?

A: Please visit Room 9 in Annenberg Hall to schedule an appointment with an advisor or call 215-204-5273. Please also check the “walk-in” hours posted on the SMC Student Affairs website.

Q: My son or daughter can’t remember how to locate the information that an advisor gave him or her during an advising session.

A: Your son or daughter can view notes, along with links to important websites, from an advising session in TU Portal. Click on the Student Tools tab, look under the Records section on the right-hand side of the page, and then select Advising Sessions.

Q: Where may I locate an academic calendar noting the start and end of classes each semester?

A: Please visit:

Q: What if my son or daughter needs to change his or her major within SMC?

A: He or she needs to complete the “Undergraduate Request for Program Change” and drop the form off at the SMC Student Affairs/Advising Center in Room 9, Annenberg Hall.

Q: What if my son or daughter wishes to change his or her major outside of SMC, such as to Business?

A: He or she needs to schedule an Intra-University Transfer (IUT) session with the Advising Center of the School or College into which the student wants to transfer (i.e., the “new” college).  After the student attends the session, they are then prompted to fill out paperwork to formally change their major.  The IUTs are effective for the following semester.  These IUT sessions are held multiple times throughout the year, except during January and August, at the discretion of the School or College’s Advising Center.

Q: Where can I locate information related to university or academic policies, including Academic Warning or Probation?

A: Please visit the Undergraduate Bulletin:

Q: My son or daughter has concerns about a grade he or she received. What does he or she do?

A: Please download the PDF document “SCT Undergraduate Grade Appeal Policies and Procedures” for information about grades.

Campus Safety

Q: If I have questions concerning campus safety, whom do I contact?

A: Please visit: or contact Campus Safety Services at 215-204-1234.

Q: What safety services and programs are offered to students?

A: Temple’s Campus Safety Services offers a shuttle service which runs from campus to campus as well as the “to your door” (TUr door) service, which transports students from Main Campus to their off-campus residences in surrounding neighborhoods. Download the map and schedule, click here for link (PDF).

Commencement and Graduation

Q: What is the difference between graduation and commencement?

A: Commencement is the University ceremony, which is open to all graduating students within Temple. Graduation is the school-wide ceremony, which is open to all graduating students within SMC. Commencement and Graduation are two separate ceremonies. Commencement is held only in May while Graduation is held in January and May.

Q: My son or daughter is graduating, where can I get information?

A: For graduation information, please visit the Graduation Information page. For university commencement information, please visit

Q: What is the graduation process?

A: When a student has completed 90 credits, he or she needs to make an appointment with an SMC Academic Advisor for a graduation review. The Advisor and student will discuss remaining requirements for graduation as well as the graduation process during this meeting. Additionally, the student needs to complete a mandatory online graduation application, which can be submitted through the TU Portal on Self-Service Banner. Diplomas will NOT be mailed in cases where this form has not been completed. Any student who has a hold on their record must resolve the issue prior to graduation. Diplomas will NOT be released to students who have holds on their accounts. Additionally, all students who have had financial aid are required to complete an Exit Interview at:

Contributions to the School

Q: How do I make a contribution to the School of Media and Communication?

A: Please visit:

Counseling and Self-Help

Q: If my son or daughter needs individual counseling, group counseling, or self-help resources, who should he or she contact?

A: Tuttleman Counseling Services
Phone: 215-204-7276 |

Diamond Dollars and Temple Purchases

Q: How do I add money to my son or daughter’s Diamond Dollars account?

A: Please visit for information about making deposits.

Q: How do I purchase Temple clothing/gifts?

A: Please visit the Temple University Bookstore.

Directory Information and Contacts

Q: Where do I locate the School of Media and Communication faculty/staff directory?

A: Please visit:

Q: My son or daughter is a prospective student and would like to visit the School of Media and Communication. Who does he or she contact and does this need to be scheduled in advance?

A: It is best to schedule in advance in order to ensure that someone is available to assist you. Please contact the Office Manager for the department in which you would like to visit. Please contact as follows:

  • Advertising: 215-204-4268
  • Media Studies and Production (formerly Broadcasting, Telecommunications, and Mass Media): 215-204-5475
  • Communications: 215-204-6434
  • Journalism: 215-204-8346
  • Strategic Communications (formerly Strategic & Organizational Communication): 215-204-5790

Q: How do I contact Temple University Student Affairs?

A: Please visit the Student Affairs site:

Enrollment Information and Transcripts

Q: Our family insurance company (or my employer) is requiring proof that my son or daughter is (or was) enrolled at Temple. How do I get that information?

A: This documentation is referred to as Enrollment Verification, and the student may obtain this document through TU Portal. Please visit: for more detailed information.

Q: Where can I locate information related to my son or daughter’s program of study and related policies?

A: Please visit the Undergraduate Bulletin at: and look for the appropriate academic year for when your son or daughter selected their major.

Q: My son or daughter needs a transcript. How does he or she obtain one?

A: Please visit: for information about obtaining a transcript.

Financial Aid and Billing

Q: How can I get information on financial aid for students?

A: Please contact Student Financial Services. For students at Main Campus, call 215-204-2244 or visit their website:

Q: When will my son or daughter receive their tuition bill?

A: The billing schedule is available at:

Bills are not mailed out; notifications are sent to your official Temple e-mail account and bills will be available in TUpay.
The Bursar’s Office can be reached at 215-204-7269.

Parents’ Access to Information

Q: Why am I not able to access all of my son or daughter’s information?

A: For more information on the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), please visit:

Student Health and Medical Withdrawal

Q: If my son or daughter becomes ill, where does he or she go?

A: He or she can go to the Student Health Services.
Phone: 215-204-7500

Q: What does my son or daughter need to do if he or she needs to medically withdraw for the semester?

A: All the information regarding the medical withdrawal is on the “Form for withdrawal for medical reasons (.doc)“. He or she needs to download the document, read it throughly, fill it out and submit it to an academic advisor. Medical documentation is required for medical withdrawals. The medical withdrawal process requires a student to withdraw from all courses during the semester, and a medical withdrawal will not be approved in cases where a grade has been earned.  For more information, please visit:

Q: Are there immunization and medical requirements for new students enrolled at Temple?

A: For information, please visit:

Related Links

Financial information

Student Life


School News & Events

*All Student Affairs communications are done electronically via email or on the website. Note also that Temple University does not send paper bills, as these are electronic as well.