Related Professional Organization Links
- American Society for Training & Development (ASTD)
- Eastern Communication Association (ECA)
- International Communication Association (ICA)
- National Communication Association (NCA)
- Philadelphia Public Relations Association (PPRA)
- Public Relations Society of America (PRSA)
- Rhetoric Society of America (RSA)
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
STRC internships are intended to allow for students to receive academic credit for industry experience. Internships are one of the most important ways for students to apply what they have learned in the college classroom to the workplace. Nearly 80% of our students complete an internship by graduation, and their experience is often the deciding factor in an employer’s decision to hire a new college graduate.
Possible internships are posted regularly to the STRC listserv, which is restricted to STRC majors. If you are not subscribed to this listserv, please contact STRC office manager, Demaris Watford at firstname.lastname@example.org. Internship information is also posted in the SMC Internship Database.
Internship Program Requirements
The internship course in Organizational Leadership or Rhetoric and Public Advocacy requires a minimum total of 126 hours of off-campus work during the fall, spring, or summer semesters. It is a three-credit course, requiring 7 or 14 weeks of work.
The internship course in Public Relations offers the option of receiving 1, 2 or 3 credits for the course, depending on the number of hours worked at the internship site.
- For an internship of 1 credit a student will work less than 10 hours a week
- For an internship of 2 credits a student will work between 10 and 15 hours a week
- For an internship of 3 credits a student will work at least 20 hours a week
Before registering for the Internship in Public Relations course the student must contact the internship director (email@example.com) to review credit-hour options.
The internship course is offered as
- STRC 3685 (Internship in Organizational Leadership)
- STRC 3385 (Internship in Rhetoric and Public Advocacy)
- STRC 3585 (Internship in Public Relations)*
*This course is now offered as a 1-,2- or 3- credit course, depending on the number of hours worked at the internship site. Please contact the internship director (firstname.lastname@example.org) to review credit-hour options.
Students are free to solicit internships on their own, but they must secure the internship director’s approval before they can register for credit. Students must secure written proof of an internship offer and schedule an appointment with Amanda Bednar, internship director (e-mail: XYZ), to review eligibility to register for STRC 3585, STRC 3385, or STRC 3685.
Prerequisites for students to receive internship credit:
- Register as an STRC major
- Complete three of four STRC core courses
- Complete at least four courses in the student’s concentration.
- Earn a minimum 3.0 GPA in the major courses.
Forms needed for registration:
Please review full registration instructions on the STRC 3585, STRC 3385, or STRC 3685 syllabi before making an appointment with the internship director.
For more information, please contact:
Amanda Bednar, Internship Director