Program fees and estimated additional costs for all programs are listed on the individual financial information program pages. Below you’ll find information about study away scholarship opportunities as well as financial information to help you plan for your study away experience.
SMC Study Away Scholarships
Apply for the scholarships below using the program applications. During the 2012 – 2013 academic year, SMC Study Away awarded nearly $100,000 in study away scholarships!
Diane M. Rencevicz Memorial Scholarship
Students studying at the Temple London Program in the fall or spring would be eligible for a $5,000 scholarship awarded in memory of Diane M. Rencevicz. Students must have financial need, and the recipient is selected by the London Scholarship Committee. The award should be used for tuition, room and/or board. One scholarship per semester is awarded and all students that apply for SMC Study Away scholarships are considered for this scholarship.
NYC Commuter Scholarship
All commuter applicants will automatically receive a commuter scholarship which will cover their commuting costs for one round trip each week of the program. The scholarship award will be approximately $310 and it will cover costs for a return Boltbus ticket from Philadelphia for all 11 weeks of the program. Students who commute from somewhere other than Philadelphia, will still receive the Commuter Scholarship as all commuter students will receive the same award for commuting. Since this is an automatic award, no application is necessary.
SMC Study Away Scholarship
A limited number of scholarships are available to qualified Temple students for study on Temple University School of Media and Communication Study Away programs. The amount of the scholarships varies and is based on need and merit. The awards will range from $500-2,000 and the amount of the award is determined by SMC Study Away in consultation with Temple’s financial aid office. Awards will be given depending upon the amount of funds available.
In order to qualify for one of the scholarships above, you must:
- be enrolled as a full-time, matriculated student at Temple University at the time of application for a scholarship;
- have at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average;
- enroll as a full-time student in the Temple University London program;
- demonstrate financial need;
- be a United States citizen or Permanent Resident.
A recent survey conducted by Diamond Edge Communications found that just 36% of students applied for scholarships for study away! Don’t miss out on the opportunities that exist to help you fund these experiences! The next set of scholarships are available to Temple University students and can be used for study away program expenses.
Temple University and SMC Scholarships
- SMC Scholarships
- Deadlines: Typically October 1 for Spring awards and February 15 for Summer and Fall awards
- Ann and Randy Hart Passport Scholarship – Temple freshmen and transfer students are eligible for a scholarship to cover the cost of a new passport during their first year
- Rudman/TUTV Scholarship
During select semesters, TUTV may offer a stipend to a Temple London student for stories produced while studying abroad. The student‘s work will likely appear on Temple Update and will also be posted on TUTV‘s website and social media accounts. Prior to departure, all Temple London students will receive further information about this opportunity which will include a description of the program and objectives, eligibility requirements, application instructions, award amount, etc. Temple Update hosts a website of all Temple London reports, along with reports from study abroad students from a variety of other locations, on their website, which you should review if this opportunity interests you.
- SMC Departmental Scholarships
- Deadline: Check with department office, 3rd floor Annenberg Hall
- Communication Studies
- Deadline: Check with department office, basement Annenberg Hall
- Deadline: Check with department office, 3rd floor Annenberg Hall
- Media Studies & Production
- Deadline: April 25, 2014
- Strategic Communication
- Deadline: February 28* (check with department office, 2nd floor Weiss Hall)
- Theater, Film & Media Arts Scholarships
- Temple University Scholarships for Continuing Students
- Temple University Scholarships by School/College
- Temple University Memorial Awards
Outside Scholarships for Study Abroad
Study abroad scholarships can be used on all SMC Study Away programs except the Communities & Organizations in NYC program and the domestic locations on the Global Internship program. Some of these scholarships have multiple application cycles per academic year while others will only have one deadline for all scholarship awards for the year so you are advised to research each scholarship thoroughly and plan ahead.
- The Foundation for Global Scholars
- Deadlines: Typically November 22 for Spring awards, April 11 for Summer awards and June 27 Fall awards
- Global Studies Foundation
- Deadline: July 1
- The Fund for Education Abroad
- Deadlines: The application typically opens in October with a deadline in late December/early January for study abroad during the following Summer, Fall and Spring.
- Go Overseas
- Deadlines: Typically November 28 for Spring and May 19 for Summer and Fall awards
- The Gilman Scholarship
- Deadlines: Typically October 1 for Spring awards and March 4 for Summer and Fall awards
- Deadlines: Typically October 18 for Spring awards, March 7 for Summer awards and May 2 Fall awards
- Vira I. Heinz Scholarship for Women – summer program only
- Deadline: The first Friday in November for the following summer
- Golden Key Spring Study Abroad Scholarship
London/UK Specific Scholarships:
- FIE Sharif Rahman Scholarship
- Deadlines: Typically November 15 for Spring awards and July 1 for Fall awards
- BUTEX (British Universities Transatlantic Exchange Association) – semester students only
- Deadline: check site – application available in January
- AASAP/UK Lord Acton Memorial Scholarship
- Deadline: Typically the first week in April for the following academic year
- E-mail FIE at firstname.lastname@example.org if you plan to apply
- Anglo-Jewish Scholarships – scholarships available for Jewish students studying abroad in the UK
- Deadline: Typically April 30
- The English-Speaking Union Travel Grant
- Deadline: Typically January 31
- Snowden Award Scheme for Students with Disabilities Studying in the UK
- Deadline: Typically August 31
- Lagrant Foundation – scholarship for minortiy students – eligible majors include advertising, marketing, public relations and communications
- National Association of Black Journalists
- Asian American Journalists Association
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund
- The Alexia Foundation
- Laura W. Bush Traveling Fellowship
- Broadcast Pioneers Scholarship
- CUPRAP’s Communications Internship Award for Students of Colour
- Radio Television Digital News Association Scholarships
- Black Women in Sport Scholarships
- Freeman-ASIA Scholarship
Additional Financial Resources
Student Financial Services and Study Away – information specifically for study away/abroad.
- Temple University’s Education Abroad Scholarship Resources page
- Temple Summer Financial Aid is applied automatically in early April on a first-come first-serve basis to eligible students that are registered for courses beginning in Summer 1 until all aid is exhausted and the aid that’s offered, if any, will depend on student’s eligibility. Temple Grants and Federal Perkins Loans are applied automatically while other types of aid may require forms for authorization and/or additional short applications.
- Examples of possible summer aid includes:
- Temple Grants ($750 or less, typically; only available for students taking courses that begin during Summer 1)
- Federal Perkins Loans (typically $1200 or less; only available for students taking courses that begin during Summer 1)
- Federal Pell Grant (eligibility is determined by SFS based on remaining annual eligibility)
- PHEAA State Grant (other states may offer grants, too)
- Strict summer eligibility requirements: must complete PHEAA online application, must be registered for minimum of six credits, coursework and registration must start in summer 1 and end in summer 2, must submit a letter from SMC Study Away to confirm program dates and awards will not be made until the drop/add period for Summer 2 passes (typically in late July).
- Federal Direct Loans may be available for reduction (complete the required form) for use in the summer if you have not received the maximum amount of Federal Direct Loan eligibility during the previous fall and spring semesters, or have increased in grade level.
- Authorization to Reduce Federal Loan – submit form to reduce federal loans to enable funds to be available for Summer Study Away
- Summer Parent PLUS Loan Request Form – check here for Summer form
- Private alternative loans
- Important Financial Information
- Gilman Group Advising Sessions for SMC Study Away students
- Study Away Financial Info Sessions – found at the bottom of this page and held in 200 Tuttleman
- Veterans Affairs GI Bill and Study Away
- Study Away Fundraising – GoFundMe.com, GoEnnounce.com, personal fundraising, FundMyTravel.com, IndieGoGo.com, GoOverseas.com, ProjectTravel.com
Check out these two videos from SMC Study Away students that have funded a large portion, or in Brianna’s case, her entire experience, through scholarships!
Brianna Prime, Strategic Communication Major, Public Relations Concentration, International Communication Concentration and Spanish Minor was featured as “Temple Made” student due to her many accomplishments while at Temple, most notably graduating in just three and a half years while also studying abroad three times (Temple Dublin Summer 2012, Temple Barcelona, Summer 2014)! Brianna also funded her entire summer interning abroad in Barcelona through scholarships such as the Diamond Ambassador Scholarship, the Lew Klein Scholarship, the Martha Menei Scholarship and the Media and Communication Scholarship!
As part of his follow on project, Josh Arnold, Temple London Spring 2011, Theater Major and recipient of the Gilman Scholarship and the Lew Klein Scholarship, produced this video to promote study abroad and the Gilman Scholarship!