Workplace Cultural Immersion
At both program location students will not only have opportunities to improve language acquisition and proficiency but they will also gain maximum exposure to the industry of their choice. A hands-on, project focused internship experience will assist with deeper cross-cultural understanding while also furthering personal and professional growth. The on-campus learning will continue as students experience firsthand intercultural communication in an overseas work environment. A few examples of typical internship job descriptions and requirements can be found here.
Internships are available in nearly every field in Barcelona and Hong Kong so even if you do not see an industry that you are interested in listed below for your desired location, that does not mean that opportunities do not exist. The list below is not inclusive, it is merely the top internship fields for both locations:
Barcelona: Communications, Public Relations, Event Planning, Journalism, Publishing and many more.
Hong Kong: Advertising, Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Art, Finance and many more.
Internship Placement Process
Each student will work with their Internship Coordinator to find the best fit for an internship based off of their academic background and skill set. The goal is to educate and prepare each student for an internship in their desired field. This commitment focuses on enhancing each student’s industry aptitude by enabling them to gain an understanding of their strengths and weaknesses. Most importantly, the student has full control of the internship placement process. If DCI, the program provider, is unable to place a student in an internship that meets their sole approval by their placement deadline, they will receive a full refund.
Step 1: Internship Coordinator & Mentor Management
- Assigned an Internship Coordinator (IC) that is an expert in the industry and program location
- IC serves as the direct point of contact for all questions related to the program and placement process
Step 2: Resume Revision
- Student guided through a world class resume revision process
- Focus on how to bring out the best in each student’s resume
Step 3: Interview Preparation
- 95% of interviews will be conducted over the phone
- IC works to prepare each student using:
- Custom interview tutorial
- One-on-One mock interviews
Step 4: Internship Selection
- Full access to Internship Database, which includes:
- Detailed information regarding employers
- Internship descriptions and requirements
- IC will ask student to select a group of approximately 3-5 companies/internships
- Student reviews companies/internships available, discusses with IC
Step 5: Resume Submission/Interview
- Final target list of companies discussed and outlined with IC
- IC reaches out to the selected companies on the student’s behalf and submits resumes
- IC works to set up phone interviews
Step 6: After Interviewing
If the employer offers the student an internship position, a formal agreement is sent to the student
- Student must either Accept or Decline the position
- Accepted: Student is officially placed
- Declined: Steps 5 and 6 will repeat until the placement is official