New York City has consistently emerged as the sole metropolis in North America and one of the few in the world to be considered truly global in its impact. Few other cities can parallel its collection of art, cultural experiences, and history. Scarce American communicative, mediated, and social developments or movements occurred outside of the purview and subsequent impact of New York City. Clearly, New York has emerged as more than a mere metropolitan area but has instead become an icon of modern civic life. This program will investigate the communicative components of New York City by focusing on its neighborhoods, organizations, and institutions. Students will also undertake several courses as well as an internship as part of this experience and attend regular events and excursions. Programs available in summer.
Check out this interview with Dr. Scott Gratson, the faculty director for the New York City Summer 2014 program!
Summer 2014 program dates:
Course meeting dates:
Every Saturday – May 24 – August 9, 2014 *tentative
Guaranteed internship dates (for those students that apply for Option B):
June 1 – July 26, 2014
NYU Housing dates* (for those students that apply for Option B):
June 1 – July 26, 2014
or June 1 – August 2, 2014 (for an additional fee)
*It is the student’s responsibility to be in NYC for the Saturday classes that take place before and after the internship placement dates.
Application deadline: February 15, 2014
To learn more about applying to this program, click here.
- Study New York City institutions, organizations and neighborhoods.
- Experience all that New York City has to offer through an internship or self-designed experience. You will even have the opportunity to have a guaranteed internship placement if you so choose!
- Choose to live in the heart of New York City or commute from home. It’s up to you! If you select a guaranteed internship, you’ll also have your housing at NYU and a meal plan arranged for you in addition to a transportation pass and a variety of pre-planned social and cultural events to get you out and about in NYC.
- Visit Central Park, countless museums, sporting events and much more as you view New York City like you never have before!
Student photos and blogs
View the photo slideshow and read the blogs below to see how the NYC students are exploring Manhattan and the surrounding boroughs:
Student Reflections and Initiatives
- NYC Summer 2013 Student blog by Janice Durrant
- NYC Summer 2013 Student blog by Lucky Fischer
- NYC Summer 2013 Student blog by Shauna Bannan
- NYC Summer 2013 Student blog by Daharis Pesantez
- NYC Summer 2013 Student blog by Paige Miller
- NYC Summer 2012 Student blog by Kelly Clawson
- NYC Summer 2012 Student blog by Mary Vercillo
- NYC Summer 2012 Student blog by Pete Orbach
New York City Summer 2013 student, Victoria Miniscalco, an MSP major, created this 28 minute documentary about the LGBT community and their narratives. To see more student made student made videos of life in New York, visit the Student Life Page. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZnDXmmOPnE&feature=youtu.be