Please thoroughly read through the South Africa 2012-2013 Pre-Departure Manual (below). In it you will find information regarding finances, medical matters, housing, packing tips, internships and more. Please share this document with your parents:
- Pre-departure Manual
The summer will be here before you know it! Before we can consider you for scholarships that you applied for through Study Away, we must get the attached completed form from you. This form will allow Student Financial Services to give us information about your financial need when we are considering awards.
Please complete and submit this form to Study Away by Monday, March 25th and feel free to contact us with any questions.
Tuition for full-time students (6 credits)*
PA state residents: $3,168 (tentative)
Out-of-state residents: $5,238 (tentative)
PA state residents: $707 per credit, plus university fee of up to $295
Out-of-state residents: $981 per credit, plus university fee of up to $295
Fees (for all students):
Program fee: $2,300*
University Services Fee: $213 (tentative)
International Insurance Fee: $51
* Program fees include hearty daily breakfast; kitchen facilities are available for other meals. The International Insurance Fee is a new, mandatory university fee for all students participating in an international program beginning with Spring 2013.
Included in the tuition and program fee:
- One six-credit SMC Journalism course with a focus on news and documentary production or a focus on media research
- Group field trips in and around Johannesburg
- Shared student housing in a bed and breakfast in Johannesburg
- Access to a university library
- Ground transportation to and from ORT International airport
- Ground transportation in and around the city and to and from outlying townships
- An orientation session and a tour of the city
Other estimated costs:
- Passport (for a new one, fees can total $110)
- Meals: $440. This will vary depending on style of living.
- Mobile phone rental: $200
- Daily expenses: $600. This will vary depending on style of living.
- International Student Identity Card: $25
- Round-trip airfare from Philadelphia: $1,500-$2,000