New Advertising chair focused on helping outstanding program compete at highest level
By Dan Meyers
The new chair of the Department of Advertising, Osei Appiah, PhD, says he is eager to continue the department’s thriving education program and expand research.
Appiah also wants to expand connections to the Philadelphia community — especially young people who remind him of himself a few decades ago, growing up in poverty, unaware of the possibilities.
“The positioning of Temple in the city, and its reach into the city, are particularly important to me,” Appiah says. In addition to research, “I also am committed to outreach and engagement.”
New Advertising curriculum includes focus on digital skills for job market
To prepare students for the evolving job market, the Department of Advertising is rolling out a new curriculum that increases the emphasis on the digital side of advertising. The Department will now also offer a new concentration in media planning.
The department will continue to teach the core communication skills and advertising knowledge that students need, while adding several new courses. The changes take effect in the Fall 2015 semester.
The biggest new area of the curriculum embraces the technological advancement in how media firms, corporations and ad agencies present, acquire and track information. Many courses already included these developments but the new curriculum officially builds them into the structure of the department in required and elective courses. Current juniors and seniors can choose to remain with the prior curriculum.
- Philly Ad Club and PRSA Philly Hold Women in Advertising Panel
- SMC Professor Heather LaMarre to Moderate Women in Advertising Panel
- Advertising Students Network with Major Industry Professionals at The One Club’s Multicultural Career Fair
- Advertising Students Get Career Advice In Annual Agency Crawl
- Advertising Executives Share Their Tips at the Philly Ad Club’s Perfect Pitch Panel
- Advertising Professor Dana Saewitz Presents Study to Mayoral Candidate Jim Kenney
- Advertising Students Celebrate First Place in ECHO Marketing Competition
- Top Advertising and Marketing Professionals to Share Career Advice at Upcoming Perfect Pitch Panel Discussion
- Going Viral: Advertising Student Work is Featured in Adweek
- Getting into Google: Advertising Alumna Candace Jordan Shares Her Secrets