Study Away programs are open to both undergraduate and graduate students at Temple University and other institutions. Applications will be reviewed once all materials have been submitted. Applicants will be notified by email of our decision regarding admission.
Steps to Study Away
- Chat with a SMC Peer Advisor and research the programs you are interested in.
- Consult with your academic advisor to identify potential semesters to study away.
- Attend an Intro to Study Away Information Session or schedule an appointment with Study Away staff.
- Begin preparing your application.
- Apply to your program.
- Apply for scholarships from Study Away, SMC, or national organizations.
- Enroll in your program; review course registration with your academic advisor.
- Attend pre-departure orientation and prepare to go!
Application opens: July 15, 2016
Application closes: Oct. 1, 2016
Enrollment deadline: Oct. 30, 2016
Application opens: Dec. 1, 2016
Application closes: Feb. 15, 2017
Enrollment deadline: March 10, 2017
Application opens: Jan. 1, 2017
Application closes: March 1, 2017
Enrollment deadline: March 30, 2017
To be eligible to study away, you must
- have a 3.0 cumulative GPA (preferred);
- be enrolled as a full-time, matriculated student;
- have completed at least two years of college level study;
- be in good academic and disciplinary standing (students on academic or disciplinary probation or warning may not participate); and
- plan to undertake a full-time program of study while away.
The Semester Programs Application requires
- two academic references from college professors or teaching assistants (TAs);
- an essay approximately 1–2 pages (500 words) long, describing how the program would contribute to your personal and academic development; and
- that non-Temple students submit official transcripts from their home institutions to SMC Study Away.
Semester Application Form
Semester Academic Reference Form
The Summer Programs Application requires
- one academic reference from a college professor or teaching assistant (TA);
- an essay approximately 1–2 pages (500 words) long, describing how the program would contribute to your personal and academic development;
- that non-Temple students must submit official transcripts from their home institutions to SMC Study Away; and
- a current résumé (for the South Africa and Global Internship programs).
Though language proficiency is not required, it is recommended and encouraged for the Global Internship Programs in Barcelona, Hong Kong and Paris.
Summer Application Form
Summer Academic Reference Form