Study Away

The School of Media and Communication offers study away opportunities in London, Communities & Organizations in NYC, Dublin, South AfricaBarcelonaHong Kong, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Paris, PeruSan Francisco, and Washington, D.C. which provide enriched academics as well as valuable work experience. Gain a new perspective on your academic studies, experience a different culture and develop skills to give you an edge in today’s competitive environment. Study Away opportunities are available for both undergraduate and graduate students from all universities and all disciplines. Please contact SMC Study Away at  for more information.

Choose a program:

Semester Programs

Blaise Mannino_London

Summer Programs

NEW for Summer 2015: Peru


Communities &
in NYC                        Dublin                       London                      South Africa
C.O. in NYCDublinEmily Sullivan_London2Constitution Hill


Summer Global Internship Programs

International Destinations
Barcelona                 Hong Kong                 London                      Paris
BarcelonaHong Kong 13Blaise Mannino_LondonParis



Domestic Destinations
Boston                       Chicago                    Los Angeles               Miami



NYC                             San Francisco            Washington, D.C.

NYCSan FranciscoWashington, D.C.

Check out a sneak peak of all that SMC Study Away has to offer!

Frequently Asked Questions

Why study away?

When you study away, you open yourself up to a world of new perspectives and opportunities. You are much more than a tourist- you take classes, shop in local markets, speak a new language, taste new foods, and visit culturally significant sites you learned about in class. In short, by immersing yourself in a different culture, you experience daily life in a way you could have never imagined before. Your perspective on the world and your own culture is transformed. Studying away may well be the most memorable and rewarding experience of your college career.Studying away also helps to prepare you for today’s competitive job market and graduate school. Characteristics that employers look for are often gained through studying away: international experience, initiative, cultural sensitivity, flexibility, responsibility, and the ability to communicate with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures. In today’s interconnected society, the need for cross-cultural understanding is greater than ever.

Who can study away?

All regularly enrolled Temple University students in good academic standing are eligible to study away; students may not be on warning or on academic or disciplinary probation. Knowledge of a foreign language is not a requirement to study away on all programs.  Students from other colleges and universities that meet the application requirements are eligible to study away on Temple SMC programs.

When can I study away?

Most students going for a semester study away during their sophomore or junior year, but some will spend a semester during their senior year studying away, too.  Studying away on a summer program is possible as early as the summer following your freshman year or as late as the summer following your final spring semester and it’s even possible to walk in the May graduation ceremony by completing a few items and filing necessary paperwork!

For how long can I study away?

You may study away for a semester, academic year, or summer. Generally, the longer the program, the better.  It takes time to settle in and adapt to new surroundings; the longer you are away, the more you will benefit from the experience.

What kinds of programs are there?

There are so many programs to chose from, varying in length from a summer session to an academic year. Each program has different requirements as well. Temple students have many options.The SMC-specific programs are currently run during the summers in London, Dublin, New York City, South Africa, Barcelona and Hong Kong, and during the Fall and Spring in London. Other Temple programs include Temple Rome, Temple Japan, and a variety of summer programs in many locations. You can also choose to study away on a non-Temple program, if Temple does not offer a program that fits your needs.

How do I apply for the SMC programs?

All of the applications are online through this web site.  More information can be found here.

I’m a transfer student. Do I need my transcripts from my previous schools too?

In most cases we can check your grades from your previous school online. If your transcript is not available online, you will need to request that it be sent to SMC Study Away from your previous school.

Can I ask a professor who’s teaching me this semester for a reference?


What if I don’t know any professors in my major very well?

If you’re applying for a semester program, one of your references must be from a faculty member in your major discipline. If you don’t know any professors in your major, you can ask a lab assistant or TA for a reference, or make an appointment with a professor in your major to get to know her/him and to discuss your interest in studying away.

What if I haven’t declared a major?

You can ask a professor from the department in which you plan to declare a major, or you can ask someone from the department in which you’ve taken most of your classes. In either case, please include a note with your application explaining your choice of referrers.

How should I send the reference?

All references are submitted online.  You simply send your recommender the link to the reference webpage and he or she inputs some information about you on the form.  When you submit your application online, he or she will receive an automatic notification reminding them about the reference and when he or she submits the reference, you will receive an email notifying you that the reference was received.

Can I still study away if I don’t meet all of the eligibility requirements?

We review applications on a case-by-case basis. If you don’t meet all of the eligibility requirements (e.g. you’re a sophomore applying to a semester program or your GPA is below the preferred GPA) you may still be considered for admission into the program. Include relevant information in your application essay that explains your situation, and we’ll take it into account in reviewing your application.

Are there scholarships available to study away?

Yes, there are scholarships available for all Temple study away programs!  Check out the financial information page for each program for more details and plan to make an appointment with a peer advisor to discuss scholarships and financial aid (  You can also visit the following web sites for information on scholarships:

Who can I talk to about financial aid?

For financial aid information, you should see someone in Student Financial Services on the ground floor of Conwell Hall. Visit their Contact page for office locations at other Temple campuses. You can also check out our Study Away Scholarships and Financial Aid page.

Will I need a visa to study away? How can I apply for one?

Students will need visas for some programs. We send specific application instructions to students after they’ve been accepted.

I don’t have a passport yet. When should I apply for one?

Because of long processing times, and because you’ll need to include a passport with your visa application in some cases, we recommend that you have a passport by the program application deadline. Please see the U.S. Department of State website for more information about application process and prices.

What kinds of facilities do I live in?

The facilities vary depending on the program.

Who do I live with?

Temple students will live with other temple students. Rooms range from 2-person to 6-person. Other students from other universities will also reside in the buildings.

How many classes do I take?

On the London semester program students can take between 12-17 credits. In London, Dublin, South Africa, Barcelona and Hong Kong summer programs, students take 2 classes for a total of 6-7 credits and on the New York City summer program students take 3 classes for a total of 7-10 credits.

Do I have time on the weekends to travel?

Generally, weekends are free for travel. Weekend trips around the host city are offered in most programs. Students may choose whether to participate in them.

What should I pack?

Students studying for a semester typically pack between 1-2 full sized suitcases. Most students bring a little of everything, but you must check your airline’s web site for size and weight restrictions, and how many bags you are allowed to check and carry-on the plane.

What is the weather like?

Depending upon the program and the time of year in the location, the weather will vary.  In most locations, the weather will be very different from the weather in Philadelphia so it is recommended that you consult or a travel book for your study away destination.